On July 1st, 1st Day Project began collecting school supplies for students at various locations in Iowa and Illinois. Since 2006, Quad City area schools, volunteer groups, and local post offices coordinate a combined supply drive effort through the 1st Day Project: Quad City-Wide Student Supply Drive.
The 1st Day Project unites Quad City area school supplies drives to meet the needs of students who require help in obtaining school supplies. Approximately 24,000 students in Quad City schools are from families with incomes low enough to be eligible for Free & Reduced fee waivers for school meals and fees. Some of Quad City area school districts have an average as high as 70% of students qualifying for Free & Reduced. The 1st Day Project will supply thousands of Quad City students with the items they need to start their school year with confidence.
There are still many locations still open and accepting dropped off school supplies. Items needed include loose-leaf paper, spiral notebooks, colored and regular pencils and pencil boxes, pocket folders, pens, crayons, glue sticks, composition notebooks, tissues, backpacks, scissors, erasers, washable markers, watercolor paints, dry erase markers, and hand sanitizer.
Here is list of locations where items can be donated:
SCHOOL DISTRICT DROP OFF SITES:
IOWA – July 1 – August 5
- Bettendorf Community School District
- District Administration Center – 3311 18th St., Bettendorf
- Davenport Community School District
- Achievement Service Center – 1606 Brady St., Davenport (Mon-Thurs)
- Pleasant Valley Community School District
- Pleasant Valley High School – 604 Belmont Rd., Bettendorf
ILLINOIS – July 1 – July 22
- Moline School District
- District Administration Center – 1619 11th Ave., Moline
- Rock Island/Milan School District
- District Administration Center – 2101 6th Ave., Rock Island
- Chris Elsberg State Farm Insurance Agency – 855 4th Ave., Rock Island
- Blackhawk Bank & Trust – 38th St. & Blackhawk Rd., Rock Island
- Blackhawk Bank & Trust – 301 West 4th St., Milan
- East Moline Area Schools (First Day Fund Inc.)
- First Presbyterian Church – 777 25th Ave., East Moline (9:30am-2:30pm)
ASCENTRA CREDIT UNION DROP OFF SITES - July 1 – July 27
- 1710 Grant St., Bettendorf
- 2339 53rd Ave., Bettendorf
- 1515 W. 53rd St., Davenport
- 1710 W. 3rd St., Davenport
- 1800 Brady St., Davenport
- 949 Mississippi View Ct., LeClaire
- 2004 7th St., Moline
SCHNUCKS DROP OFF SITE – July 1 – July 23
- 858 Middle Rd., Bettendorf
CARPETLAND USA DROP OFF SITE – July 1 – July 23
- 4337 Brady St., Davenport
- 4201 44th Ave., Moline
Additionally, monetary donations will be accepted through the Community Foundation of the Great River Bend, either online here OR send checks to: First Day Project c/o the Community Foundation of the Great River Bend, 852 Middle Rd., Ste. 100, Bettendorf, IA 52722
There will also be several other events that will benefit 1st Day Project's mission. The first is Pack the Bus, which will be held at several locations:
HYVEE Pack the Bus – 11am - 4pm
- Sunday, July 24 – Devils Glen Rd., Bettendorf
- Sunday, July 31 – Utica Ridge & 53rd, Davenport
SCHNUCKS Pack the Bus – 11am - 4pm
- Saturday, July 23 – 858 Middle Rd., Bettendorf
The 2nd Annual Bikers for Backpacks will take place on Sunday, July 31st, and this event will also benefit Rock Island/Milan students in need. More information on that event can be found here.
Lastly, support for the 1st Day Project can be given through Birdies for Charity at the John Deere Classic from August 8th to the 14th. Pledges are due by August 12th, and the form can be found online here. Select ID #1972.
Copyright 2016 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.