'I'm kind of lost right now'

Kaylene Schroeder's mother was found dead in a house on fire in Morrison

Two minors are in custody in connection with a house fire in Morrison where a woman was found dead.

Saturday afternoon crews responded to a fire near West Park and Willow streets.

After entering the home, they found 53-year-old Peggy Schroeder dead inside.

Local 4 News talked with Schroeder's daughter about how she's coping with the sudden loss.

"I started crying I just couldn't believe it, because my mom was always very careful with candles and stuff," Kaylene Schroeder said.

In a town of about 4,000 people, Peggy Schroeder was a mother, friend and a neighbor.

Morrison police, Whiteside County Sheriff's deputies and the town's fire department were called to Schroeder's home Saturday for a house fire.

That's when they found Schroeder's body inside the home.

Police eventually arrested two juveniles in connection with the crime. Formal charges are pending.

Daughter Kaylene Schroeder says when she found out her mother had been found dead, her life was turned upside down.

"I never thought this day would come, especially like this."

Schroeder says although her mother adopted her and her sister at a very young age, she welcomed and loved everyone with open arms.

"She was my best friend growing up. I didn't have a lot of friends and I could always count on her and now she's just gone."

She says she will always remember how much her mom loved to garden and was always helpful to everyone, but says now she's just trying to pick up the pieces.

"Right now I'm just looking for the will so we know who gets what and what she wanted exactly. And from here I don't know... I'm kind of lost right now."

If her mother was still alive for just one more day, Schroeder says...

"I would've said, "Thank you for adopting us, for giving us a second chance at life, for loving us no matter what we put her through.' Because we put her through a lot, but she was always there for us and she just wanted us to succeed in life and i'm going to miss her a lot."

The two young female suspects were taken into custody and charges are pending.

They're scheduled to appear in court Tuesday morning.

More Stories

Don't Miss

Trending Stories

Latest News

Video Center