Some Quad Cities residents are eligible for free tax preparation services offered through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program of United Way of the Quad Cities Area.
IRS-certified trained volunteers at 14 different sites will prepare taxes at no cost for residents with a household income of $57,000 or less.
In 2017, 6,088 Quad Citians received free tax preparation, and $5.2 million was returned to them in federal income tax dollars.
Appointments are available through April 12. Individuals can schedule appointments by dialing United Way’s confidential information and referral line 211 or 563-355-9900.
Last year, families who used the VITA program received a return of around $1,500 on average. They also received their return quickly, didn’t have to worry about hidden fees and could take advantage of all qualifying tax credits.
Most sites require appointments.
Tax preparation sites include:
• Bettendorf Community Center, 2204 Grant St., Bettendorf
• Center for Active Seniors (CASI), 1035 W Kimberly Rd., Davenport
• Clinton RSVP, 315 South 2nd St., Clinton (call 563.243.7787 for appointment)
• East Moline Public Library, 740 16th Ave., East Moline
• Friendly House, 1221 Myrtle St., Davenport
• Geneseo Public Library, 805 N Chicago St., Geneseo call 309.944.6452 for an appointment)
• Martin Luther King, Jr. Center, 630 9th St., Rock Island
Walk-ins available Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday from 5:00 to 8:00 p.m. and Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
• Moline Public Library, 3210 41st St., Moline
• Palomares Social Justice Center, 133 4th Ave., Moline
• Rock Island County Senior Center, 2221 11th St., Rock Island
• Rock Island Township Hall, 2827 7th Ave., Rock Island
• Scott Community College West Davenport Center, 2950 N. Fairmount St., Davenport
• Silvis Public Library, 105 8th St., Silvis
• Western Illinois University, 3300 River Dr., Moline
Taxpayers should bring the following items:
• Valid driver’s license or photo ID
• Social Security Card or Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) for all members in your family
• All W-2 forms
• Prior year tax return
• All 1099 forms (if applicable)
• Account numbers for electronic deposit of refund
• Health insurance documentation
• If filing jointly, your spouse must be present
LOS ANGELES (AP) - More than 140 survivors of sexual abuse by a…
DownRange Excursions combines nature, holistic medicine &…
TOKYO (AP) - Japan has recorded a trade surplus in June, including…