‘It was very bad & tragic news.’ Man recalls how a holiday celebration turned into an emergency

News

A cultural celebration turned into a horrible accident for one Bettendorf family. 

A neighbor tells Local 4 News that he was on his way to the party when he saw the trouble.

It happened Wednesday night on Katie Lane around 6:30 p.m. 

Police got called to the home and found someone’s clothes caught fire after getting too close to a burning candle.

Another person in the room got burned trying to put out the fire. 

Investigators say both were taken to the University of Iowa Hospital burn treatment center.

Kiran Basnet goes to the same temple as his next door neighbors and says they were all celebrating Diwali with their families that night.

It’s a Hindu holiday that means festival of lights.

Basnet says when he decided to extend his holiday greetings to neighbors, he opened the door to find fire trucks, ambulances and a Medforce helicopter. 

Basnet says he went into his neighbors home to find chaos. 

He says it’s a tragedy that may haunt the family for years to come.

“When the next holy day comes and they remember the family and it is very bad for them, so I was really surprised myself, too, what’s going to happen to them for their whole life?” Basnet says.

Basnet says he hasn’t heard from his neighbors since that night.

No word yet on the condition of the two burn victims. 
 

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.