After a night and early morning of violence in Rock Island, Rock Island Mayor Mike Thoms says Quad-City leaders are working together to keep the community safe.

Thoms told Local 4 News two people were shot “by an unknown suspect” on the east side of the parking lot of a private club in the area of 5th Avenue and 27th Street about 1:30 a.m. Sunday.

The club, he said, does not have a liquor license.

Police found blood and shell casings in the area, Thoms said. Both people who were wounded were transported by private vehicle to Trinity Medical Center. “They were interviewed, but were not cooperative,” he said. “They were stable but were flown to Peoria because the emergency room was already busy.”

This is the second time there has been a shooting in the area in recent weeks, said Thoms, who wants to know abut the motivation and who is involved.

“Any violence or crime like this is disheartening,” he said. “There’s been far too many of these types of incidents throughout the Quad-Cities in recent months. Everybody is working hard to get to the bottom of it.”

According to the police record of reported offenses in Rock Island:

  • At 8:44 p.m. Saturday, there was a report of an aggravated battery with a firearm on the 1300 block of 14th Street. Officers responded to this area in reference to shots fired with a victim, conscious and alert, who was sitting on the front steps of a residence in this area when the victim was shot multiple times. An occupant of the residence went outside after hearing gunshots and saw someone getting into a gray SUV and head west on 13th Avenue. No arrest has been made as of Monday. The victim is in stable condition, police said.
  • At 1:37 a.m. Sunday, there was a report of aggravated battery with a firearm in the 2700 block of 5th Avenue. The two victims are in in stable condition, police said.
  • At 2:37 a.m. Sunday, there was a report of a battery on the 1700 block of 2nd Avenue.
  • At 3:37 a.m. Sunday, there was a report of reckless discharge of a firearm on the 4200 block of 6th Avenue. Police found shell casings. No one was injured and there were no reports of damage, police said.