A bang, then flames: Residents safely escape ‘suspicious’ early-Wednesday blaze

Local News

UPDATE: Fire crews are investigating two overnight fires, with the first one breaking out in Davenport.

Local 4 News was at the scene just before 1 a.m., near Gaines and Ninth streets, where four adults and three kids escaped what is now being called a “suspicious fire.”

Our crew saw heavy smoke coming from the home.

One neighbor, who asked to be identified as “Aaron,” describes the scene as it unfolded.

“My wife and I (were) upstairs watching TV, and we heard a loud explosion. We heard a loud boom,” he said. “By the time we looked out the window just to see what it was and everything, we saw an individual run from the side of our house, all the way down to the sidewalk. We couldn’t really get a good identity of the person.”

Davenport Fire Chief Craig Black confirms all seven individuals escaped the house without injuries.

“Initial crews made an attack to the front side, and we had crews go on the interior and found everybody to be out,” said Fire Chief Black. “We were able to knock the fire down with no injuries.”

The fire chief adds a chihuahua did not make it out of the house.

The American Red Cross continues to help the family at this time.

A second fire broke out on the other side of the river, in East Moline.

More information about that incident is here.

EARLIER UPDATE: He heard a loud bang, saw someone run from the area, and then his home went up in flames early Wednesday.

The Red Cross continues to help the family at this time.

A resident who asked to be identified as “Aaron” lived in a home in the 900 block of Gaines Street, Davenport. He was among several people who waited for the American Red Cross to arrive to assist him with housing after flames destroyed the house early Wednesday.

He said he helped other people living there escape safely out the back door, and was on his way to see his wife, who has existing breathing problems and was taken to a hospital to be checked out.

Firefighters arrived at the scene shortly after 12:45 a.m., when the house burst into flames. Our Local 4 News crew, the only station at the scene, saw fire crews knock down the blaze in about 15 minutes, and police assisted at the scene. Gaines Street was blocked in the area for some time.

Residents, some in blankets, were consoled by neighbors and family members who arrived at the scene. The Red Cross assisted four adults and three children, according to a news release from later Wednesday.

Firefighters were on the scene to put out hot spots and to investigate the cause of the fire, which had not been determined as of 1:30 a.m.

Local 4 News and www.ourquadcities.com will provide updates as details become available.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.