Bettendorf Superintendent Mike Raso has announced he is taking a personal leave of absence through June 30.
The Board anticipates having an interim Superintendent in place very soon and continues its current negotiations in hiring a new superintendent.
It’s not clear if Raso’s departure has anything to do with this week’s complaints from parents about their kids being attacked by other students at school, who say the district didn’t do anything about it.
Raso’s tenure was running short. The school board already determined it wasn’t going to renew his contract. The board announced last month that it was down to two finalists for the next superintendent, Michelle Morse and Robert Callaghan.
Raso has been superintendent since 2016, but has been involved in the district since 2008.
One Bettendorf parent, Justin Odvarko, said that he hopes the school board can work together well with whoever they hire.
“He’s been with the district for quite a while now so it’s like what happened in this position, that it just didn’t go well?” Odvarko said. “Don’t wanna make the same mistakes with the new person when they pick them so yeah I think they should look into things and see how things are going.”
The board initially planned to vote on the new superintendent last Tuesday. There is a special school board meeting scheduled for tomorrow, and the agenda mentions going into closed session for negotiations to discuss employment strategy.