Thanks to a special summer reading partnership with Metro, fares will be waived for youth riding transit to Illinois Quad Cities public libraries this summer. East Moline, Moline, Rock Island and Silvis are all offering their own summer reading and event programs.
The four Illinois Quad Cities libraries have partnered with Metro to allow children from ages 4 to 12 to use a valid library card as their fare when traveling to and from several library locations between June 1st and July 31st. Children must be accompanied by a paying adult, and will have their fares waived when traveling to and from participating library branches.
Riders must show a valid library card from the Moline, Rock Island, East Moline, or Silvis libraries to claim the fare waiver.
Summer program highlights for each library are as follows:
- Moline Public Library, Discover Your Super Power Through Reading! June 3 – July 29, 2023. Special events include Martika Circus Act, Bigger Bang Bubble Show, and Mikayla Oz Magic show.
- East Moline Public Library: East Moline Public Library, Find Your Voice, June 1-July 22, 2023. Readers will earn tickets towards prizes and baskets for the grand prize at the end of the summer reading program. Special events River Currents tour, Rudy Vallejo Native American Dancer, Dino O’Dell and other fun programs.
- Rock Island Public Library, Find Your Voice, June 1-July 31, 2023. All-agesreading challenge and special programs to help readers of all ages find their story, develop new interests, and find outlets for self-expression and creativity. Special events for families include an interactive movie, children’s musician Mary Macaroni, Blank Park Zoo, and Family Tie-Dye Day.
- Silvis Public Library: Oceans of Possibilities, June 1-July 31. Dive into reading with the all-ages “Oceans of Possibilities” Summer Reading Program! Readers will earn rewards for reaching reading milestones. Special events include therapy dog storytimes, Absolute Science hands-on science stations, children’s musician Dino O’Dell, Incredible Bats, and magician Mikayla Oz.
Metro bus routes are located near the following library locations:
- Moline Public Library: 3210 41st Street, Moline.
- Rock Island Public Library: Downtown Library, 401 19th Street, Rock Island Watts-Midtown Branch, 2715 30th Street, and Southwest Library, 9010 Ridgewood Road, Rock Island.
- East Moline Public Library: 745 16th Avenue, East Moline.
- Silvis Public Library: 806 1st Avenue, Silvis.
Summer reading programs and events are open to anyone. For information about applying or renewing a library card, or specifics on upcoming events, contact the respective library in your city.