SENIOR STAR -- WITH A LOCATION IN DAVENPORT -- RANKS THIRD ON FORTUNE'S -- *50 BEST WORKPLACES FOR AGING SERVICES.*
JOINING US TO TALK ABOUT IT IS MARC STROHSCHEIN, EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR AT SENIOR STAR.
1. WHY DO YOU THINK SENIOR STAR RANKED SO HIGH ON THIS LIST?
The survey focused on four areas. 85% of the evaluation looked at the trust factor and having the ability for our employees to grow and reach their potential. The other 15% looked at innovation and leadership. These are areas that we believe are critical to our success - as an employer and as a provider of senior services.
2. WHEN IT COMES TO SENIOR HOUSING THERE CAN BE HIGH EMPLOYEE TURNOVER. WHAT ARE YOU DOING DIFFERENT?
We are very intentional in building a strong culture and have great longevity at our community here in the Quad Cities. That culture is focused on our associates, the relationships they have with each other, recognizing their efforts, and providing an opportunity for them to grow. Underlying all of that is the trust factor - that they have confidence in our leadership, that we listen and that we respond to what they share whether that be better ways to do their job or other ways to help them grow. We need to demonstrate that we care about them as a person.
3. THIS LIST OF BEST WORKPLACES FOR AGING SERVICES WAS DONE BASED ON WHAT YOUR EMPLOYEES HAD TO SAY. WHAT DOES THAT MEAN TO YOU?
It means that our work environment is a great one and that this is place where people who care for others can come to to work and know that their opinions matter. Additionally, 95% of our campus responded to this survey, which is an incredible number. Our team knows we want to hear from them and that is evidenced in the response.
4. AS THE NUMBER OF BABY BOOMERS INCREASES, THE NUMBER OF PEOPLE NEEDED TO WORK IN SENIOR HOUSING SERVICES IS ALSO INCREASING. WHAT DOES THAT MEAN FOR SENIOR STAR?
It means people in the healthcare field have choices and we have to be the employer of choice. Whether it be recruiting for associates or trying to attract new residents, we have to show that we are different than everyone else. We want the best people in the industry working for Senior Star and that means giving them a place where their input is valued and hard work for our residents and families pays off. It means attracting the best and keeping the best. And Senior Star is very intentional about doing that - we don't believe it just happens … it happens with good intention and growing our culture.
5. YOUR C-E-O RECENTLY SAID THAT SENIOR STAR BEING CERTIFIED AS ONE OF THE BEST PLACES TO WORK IN THE AGING SERVICES INDUSTRY IS A BADGE OF HONOR, WILL THAT HELP IN ATTRACTING NEW EMPLOYEES AS THE NEED FOR PEOPLE WORKING IN THIS INDUSTRY GROWS.
Absolutely. We have worked hard to get where we are and attract the best associates and those efforts will continue. Senior Star's willingness to give our associates the opportunity to evaluate as a work place is proof that we want to hear what our associates have to say and work with them to be the best place to work. Ultimately, this provides the best in class care for our residents and their families.
SOFIA, Bulgaria (AP) - A 21-year-old suspect in the rape and slaying…
ISTANBUL (AP) - A Turkish official said Friday that investigators are…
TOKYO (AP) - The Japanese government on Friday ordered a company that…