Shoemaker sentenced up to 58 years in stolen garbage truck chase that injured police chief


Logan Shoemaker was sentenced to up to 58 years in the stolen garbage truck case that injured Buffalo Police Chief T.J. Behning.

Shoemaker was sentenced 25 years for attempted murder, but other counts added years consecutively, while other sentences will run concurrently.

“I probably should be mad at you, I’m not,” Behning said as part of his victim impact statement. “We knew the rules and we both got hurt.”

Shoemaker will need to serve the 25 years on the attempted murder charge, but will be eligible for parole.

This is a developing story. Stay tuned to Local 4 News, Fox 18 News and for updates.


June 28, 2018

Logan Shoemaker was found guilty of attempted murder and three other charges in the stolen garbage truck case that injured Buffalo Police Chief T.J. Behning.

Sentencing is scheduled for August 9.

It comes after two days of testimony and more than four hours of deliberation from 12 jurors.

In addition to attempted murder, he was also found guilty of eluding, willful injury and first-degree robbery.

Shoemaker was found not guilty of serious injury by a vehicle. That charge would be if the jury thought he did not intend to hit Behning.

Those verdicts will mean the 21-year-old will spend upwards of 50 years in prison.

Attempted murder of a police officer requires a sentence of 25 years.

Shoemaker could be seen wiping tears from his eyes as those verdicts were being read. 

He was on trial for stealing a garbage truck in September 2017, leading police on a chase through four jurisdictions and crashing it into Buffalo Police Chief T.J. Behning.

Behning is still recovering from those injuries nine months ago as he told the jury Wednesday on the stand.

His wife Heidi Behning talked after the verdict was read.

“T.J. is a man of little words, especially when it comes to things about himself but I think it’s great for the jury and everyone to hear it from him and see what he’s gone through and know that this has not been an easy journey by any means,” said Heidi Behning. 

She said as the trial wrapped up, the focus is on making sure Behning continues his road to recovery. 

“At the end of the day, there are no winners. Both families lives are changed forever. I mean we’re happy with the verdict, but at the end of the day, we’re just focused on T.J. getting better and trying to get him back to work someday,” said Heidi Behning.

She said T.J. had made his way back to work once a week for about three hours, working at the office doing administrative work.

Part of what has made the last nine months easier is the support from the law enforcement community.

Heidi Behning said, “They’ve been here from minute one. I can remember walking down to the emergency room and thinking I would be standing there alone because people would be coming up soon but being there alone, and I walked out to probably 30 officers waiting, saying what can we do for you.”

A big part of the state’s case was the body and dash camera videos; prosecutors said they believe helped to get the guilty verdicts in this case.

Scott County Attorney Mike Walton said, “I would have to guess it’s the video and that shows exactly what happened. The moves that were made prior to the collision. Where the vehicle was, where chief Behning was.”

Copyright 2022 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories