Suspect in killing of McHenry County Deputy threatened shootout with police before

Floyd Brown_1551979140930.jpg.jpg

In phone conversations recorded while he was serving time in jail, Floyd Brown, the man accused of killing McHenry County Deputy Jacob Keltner in Rockford on Thursday, had threatened to shoot police instead of being returned to custody.

According to the Herald-Review, Brown, who was 31 at the time, said he would not return to jail if he was released and would shoot it out with police instead.

In his ruling, Associate Judge Timothy Steadman said Brown would pose a physical threat if released.

“I think the court would be foolish not to interpret (his statements) as threats to shootouts with officers,” Steadman said.

Brown, 39, who hails from Springfield, was arrested for a series of burglaries in that Decatur in 2011. He was charged with four counts of residential burglary and one count of attempted burglary.

Brown fled from police when they attempted to arrest him on Feb 9th, 2011. He was apprehended in Springfield six weeks later.

While awaiting bond, and on a monitored phone call from jail, Brown said, “When I get out of jail I’m gone. The bitches better hope and pray I don’t get out.”

Decatur Police Detective Troy Kretsinger said Brown was referring to police officers.

Brown had previously received an 8 year sentence for shooting a man to death in 2001. According to the Herald-Review, Brown told police he had shot a man who tried to rob him, but witnesses said Brown robbed the victim, killed him, and dropped an unloaded gun on him. 

Police were able to match shell casings from that case to a shooting that occurred four days earlier, in which a man was shot in the leg.

Brown was the suspect in a series of burglaries in Bloomington in December 2018. When police pursued him, he reportedly drove away through back yards, eventually causing a multi-car crash at G.E. Road and Veterans Parkway. He then reportedly ran off. 

The U.S. Marshal Service Fugitive Task Force were executing a warrant at the Extended Stay America Hotel Thursday, March 7th, 2019, when Brown allegedly faltally shot Deputy Keltner.

According to the criminal complaint, officer followed Brown’s girlfriend to the hotel prior to obtaining the warrant.

As the Task Force officers positioned themselves around the door to Brown’s hotel room, they heard a male voice from inside the room say “Don’t do it,” and then heard an individual come to the door but not open it.

The Task Force officers used a key to open the door, but the swing lock was still engaged. Brown’s girlfriend came to the door and said she wanted out, at which point police say Brown started yelling and began shooting through the door and walls of the room.

The 25-year-old woman, who was in the room with Brown, suffered a non-life threatening gunshot wound, allegedly fired by Brown during his escape attempt.

Brown is said to have jumped from the 3rd floor room at the hotel and sped away from the scene.

While driving south on Interstate 55 near Lincoln, the multiple agencies reported that Logan County deputies surrounded Brown, who crashed his vehicle. 

Brown was taken into custody by the Illinois State Police around 5 p.m.

Brown, 39, was initially charged with First Degree Murder, which was upgraded Friday in federal court to killing a Special Deputy United States Marshal assisting Deputy United States Marshals in the performance of their official duties.

The charge carries the penalty of death or life in prison.

Brown is scheduled to make his first court appearance on Monday, March 11th at 1 p.m. in Room 5200 of the Stanley J. Roskowski United States Courthouse in Rockford.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.